Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring Has Sprung

 I have a confession: Once the New Year is celebrated, I could do without snow again until December. 

From about January to March, the wake-up light that simulates daylight on dark, cold Michigan mornings is my best friend – which is why I love today. Today is a sure sign that warmer temps, sunshine, backyard BBQs and camping trips to Northern Michigan are not far behind!

Signs of Spring: buds on my cherry tree, daffodils on my desk, tennis courts calling my name!


It's the First Day of Spring... also called the Vernal Equinox; "vernal" means "spring" and "equinox" means "equal night." The date notes when there are equal hours of light and dark in one day. (The other Equinox happens in September and marks the first day of autumn.) Did you also know:
  • If you were standing on the equator during either the vernal or autumnal equinox, you would see the sun pass directly overhead, the only two times in the year when that is true.
  • The two equinoxes are also the only times during the year when the sun rises due east and sets due west. 
  • In spring, the Earth’s axis is tilted toward the sun, increasing the number of daylight hours and bringing warmer weather that causes plants to bring forth new growth.

So what are your plans with a few extra hours of daylight?

No comments:

Post a Comment